Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Seronga Village: Joy Division


The fierce Seronga militia, ready to defend the humble hamlet in any battle....

(The title for this blog entry comes from the movie “Control” which I watched after a visiting Australian (Thanks Liam) put it on the hard drive of my computer. I found it a bit weird, but couldn’t get the band’s name that the movie was about out of my mind… and so here we are)

As the time approached for my family to arrive (back in late September.. yeah this is a bit of an old story, but it’s still cute to me) I began to look around my hut and realize some… “home improvements” might be in order. I was hoping to convince my mother that indeed I wasn’t living in the sort of squalor she imagined. The plan for when they came to visit was for all of us to spend at a night in the place so the family could really get the feel of bush life and what I had been describing about a night in a hut. As I thought about three members of my inevitably over packed American family arriving in Seronga I began to panic, and decided I needed to do a major and thorough cleaning (which ended up being really good-as despite risking heat exhaustion cleaning that oven all day I got rid of lots of shit-and the place probably needed it.)

Although I thought moving to Botswana would cure me of my pack rat habit, indeed in some ways it made it worse. I hate to shock you with this unsettling information, but there is no Target store anywhere on the continent. The dry goods store and hardware dealer in the village are only open until 5 on weekdays, and I’ve run into enough weirdly timed emergencies wherein I need strange things that I have come to save nearly everything.

Couple this with the fact that I have learned in this village how many uses there can be for what I previously would have considered garbage. As it seems the recycling center in Seronga is yet to be constructed (perhaps after the water treatment facility, road, bridge, electricity and Target store arrive… although I’ve heard a rumor that there is one in Gaborone) I also have guilty feelings about the bottles remaining from the products I’ve received from America. I’ve really begun to lose it when I see the plastic burning in the trash pile out on the compound. So thus I’ve become really creative.

Being that Febreeze has become a necessary substance in my time in Seronga (Thank you thank you thank you Keith for the influx of the stuff you brought when you came in November!) I had many empty bottles just hanging around behind my bathroom door, where I also have several million bottles of disturbingly colored water in case of emergency. There was also other spray or pump bottles that I had cleaned and saved, and the time had come to get rid of them. Remembering the Supersoaker water gun or hose fights we used to have around the neighborhood growing up, I decided to create little village militias and see what happened.

I put all the cleaned bottles in some plastic bags and set out to arm the neighborhood children with the next best thing I could think of to squirt guns. Anything that could pump out water. I walked to the first standpipe I saw near my compound and a gang of children came running at me top speed as expected. I had filled one of the bottles and sprayed the front line. They were a bit shocked and certainly confused.



Many of my little soldiers didn't have the fine motor skills or manual dexterity to operate any of the weapons that I gave them. But they sorted it out eventually..

Although not really on each other... but we had fun. Or at least I did.

3 comments:

Liam Walls said...

I love that you had to watch the movie to know who Joy Division are. They are SUPER famous. Perhaps not in the States?

=P

Anonymous said...

haha. between sort of living in a slight cave for much of my life, and a big cave for the past two years, no- I had no idea about them. They kind of remind me of my ex boyfriend's former band. How are you Liam????

Björn Herold said...

Hey Jenny,
I just stumbled over your website, while searching information about Seronga. But I didnt understood very well, what you are doing there. The point is, that Im a MA-student from Germany (Hamburg) and I will go to Seronga from September to December this year as well. Im working in a quite big interdisciplinary project called "The future Okavango". Basically this project is about people-nature realtionships. Oh, ... yeah, by the way, im studying cultural and social anthropology.
Its very nice to find someone living in 'my' research area and it would be very interesting to get information about this area from a person living there (about language (problems) for example). Do you have contacts to people from Seronga? Can you give me some tips to best get in contact with them before my study or do you know people that speak english, that could be links to the people in Seronga?
Are you gonna be there in that time period?
I have so many questions. It would be really really really great and helpful to me to talk with you or at least get some information via email or skype or so.
My email adress is: bjoern@herold-ddd.de
As I said, it would be nice to hear from you and your visits to Botswana.
Thank you very much!
Bjoern