Thursday, April 23, 2009

Happy Anniversary.... An Entry From the Edge... Or is it the Middle?

April 16, 2009

“Let me know..
Do I still got time to grow?
Things ain’t always set in stone
That be known, let me know

Let me..

Seems like-
street lights, glowing
Happen to be,
just like moments,
Passing, in front of me

So I hopped in
the cab and
I paid my fare

See I know my destination
But I’m just not there
All the street lights, glowing
Happen to be, just like moments
Passing in front of me, so I hopped
In the cab and I paid my fare.

I’m just not there
In the streets
I’m just not there
Life’s just not fair.”

Kanye West “Streetlights”

Although this song centers on several increasingly foreign concepts to me, namely streetlights (streets, or lights or really, electricity… hmmm cabs? Perhaps in Maun). This one has been on some sort of terminal repeat on the ipod (along with the rest of the CD-lifesavingly fantastic-screw you Rolling Stone, you’re just wrong) in some sort of effort to self destruct the whole machine. I love it.

A year ago today I got on a plane to Philly, which lead to a bus to JFK and another plane to Jo-burg (and thus begins a typical model for Peace Corps travel, minus the vehicle breakdowns). I’ve been ruminating about the fact that the anniversary of the crazy decision I made has been approaching for a while. I’ve plunged into the depths of depression, reveled in the joy around me, questioned it all, answered quite a bit less, learned some, forgot some, lost some, won some, found some, let some go, gained some, gave some more up (occasionally against my will) and would do it all again. I guess that’s peace, at least. Which is all one can really hope for. In the end, I'm still here.

In gratitude,
Namaste
Go Siame
Lorato

No comments: