Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Blood Diamond: With the commentary. From both the director and me, I guess....

I recently spent an afternoon roasting in my house watching "Blood Diamond" (while trying to think cool thoughts) with the commentary on. It was really interesting to watch it again, having now lived in Africa, and so close to Zimbabwe (Leonardo's character is Rhodesian) and Mozambique (where most of the film was shot).





I found I was able to relate to Jennifer Connolly's character as an American who comes to Africa pretty naive to the causes and reasons for the diamond conflict, much as I did regarding HIV/AIDS prior to coming to Botswana. Not that I ever thought it would be easy, but I had no idea the intricate web of culture, geography, economics, politics and the like that would so deeply influence this epidemic. For that alone I am grateful to be in the eye of the hurricane at a time in which I can truly experience the "crisis" from it's core. I have a much better understanding than I did only 6 short months ago when I came as a result of living this life with the people, and can only hope that I can do them justice in my reporting, reflection (and really blogging) of their struggle. Being here especially in rural Botswana with such very limited resources has made me passionate about, yet occasionally impotent to impact on this crisis, but the spirit of the people here does and will continue to inspire me to keep trying. ok enough soap box... (maybe? ok reading through that seems to be exactly what I kept going on ooops)





It was interesting for me to note that during the process of her character development Connolly spoke with female reporters who had been in Africa during the Sierra Leon blood diamond conflict times and the fall of Freetown, and how she made it a priority for her character to make specific efforts to maintain her femininity in an area where it's not necessarily safe to do so as a female. This is an iceberg I'm just at the tip of in living in Africa and it was interesting to note that that was something she considered. Another piece of her character I felt was very true to life is how she sort of occasionally has to flirt her way through her interactions with African men (both black and white) to get things she wants/needs, but remains very serious about and committed to her ultimate cause, which is documenting and reporting on the conflict.




Despite my own personal passion for and commitment to the causes I am working with in Botswana I find myself occasionally having to do the same thing. Older men often smile condescendingly at me, and talk down to me and respond very, very badly when I reply in the assertive, or correct them that no my name is not "Baby". When I do this I've found I will nearly always then be told no to any request I have. In a country where it takes forever to get anything done, and at many, many junctures you can be told no for little or no reason, especially if you're young and female, is it wrong to smile pretty? To not correct a man who calls you sweetie, (when my Setswana name means "Love" for god's sake) or insists (as the chief has done) that I am his niece, which is technically true, but do I really want to call him uncle Kgosi? Will I do it if it means that he will then support my project, knowing he has the absolute power to stop the progress in it's tracks? There are some ways in which I've often wondered if I've compromised my integrity in dealing with the men of this country on this level, the level of development, and change, and getting shit done. There are many ways in which despite these doubts I wouldn't do a thing I've done differently.





In the struggle (both universally and mine personally) for women's overall equality and my specific task of creating and supporting projects than can help these women, the ones I've come to know, of this village, earn income to support their families and become more empowered to stand up for their rights with their husbands I ask myself many questions. Am I copping out? Have I contradicted or am I compromising myself? Am I being disingenuous? Am I taking one for the team? Should I use what I have? Are these the questions women from and living all over the world have been asking themselves since the beginning of time?



Back to the movie:



I also noticed this time through the intricacy of DiCaprio's accent, how he uses a Rhodesian accent most of the time and a thicker Afrikaans accent when he is peaking with the general or someone of influence from South Africa. Having been surrounded by these particular accents a lot recently I ahve a greater appreciation for the vocal work he must have done.



The director talks about building the bar on the beach where DiCaprio and Connolly meet, and apparently it's still there in Mozambique and I think we're planning on going there. Many of the shots of the fall of Freetown sequence were apparently filmed in and around Maputo and we'll be there for at least a little bit (I'm always a sucker for being in places movies were filmed).

All in all, the movie seemed to take on some new meanings for me as I watch it living in Africa. Does anyone have a copy of The Last King of Scotland they'd like to send across the pond?

No comments: