Sunday, October 12, 2008

Recent Acquisitions... that are rocking my world

Just a random list of the things I’ve recently gotten my hot little hands on that have made my life easier, more enjoyable, or higher fashion! I figure I spend more than enough time describing, bitching, complaining, or scoffing at how strange, difficult, or annoying things are here I should be taking some time to tell you about things that make my life wonderful and amazing. Thanks again to those who sent or in other ways made possible having these things in my life. I love them!

The books "Tweak" and "Beautiful Boy." Memoirs of a young man’s addiction to meth from both his and his father’s perspective. Powerful moving stuff, inspires hope while living in the eye of a never ending hurricane of pain and uncertainty. I’ve found I enjoy reading stories that take you all the way down before bringing you back to a place of hope. It feels very applicable to life here in Seronga in some ways. It has also reaffirmed powerful lessons about hope in the face of hopelessness. Keep the Faith!

Shaving cream. I found it in Shakawe, it was only a fourth of my daily living allowance and my legs are thanking me daily. 6 months is too long to go without this stuff. I again feel slightly more civilized.

The movie “Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day.” My new favorite. I would love to have a real copy so I could watch the bonus features, but watching the movie over and over again is fun as well. Love Amy Adams and Francis Mcdormand. I could be crazy when I recall that Amy Adams is from MN and performed at Chanhassan Dinner theater, but I imagine if this is the case some kind caring soul will correct me. And Francis Mcdormand was nominated (won?) for an Oscar for her role in that lovely movie of Midwestern twang “Fargo” which I’ve never seen. And all those cute British actors, especially the guy who plays Michael- does anyone know what else he’s been in?
Actors aside, I found the movie to be filled with great shots, interesting angles, good music, cute costumes and a story that has me questioning what I’m doing here having given up love for not even money….

My new mirror. I may be vain but looking at myself in a full length mirror for significant amounts of time has come to be my new hobby. Since living in Seronga I’ve been using a broken locker sized mirror that divided my face, hair, anything I tried to look at in two. I found this one at a China shop (yes as unpolitically correct as that term is, they are called that not for their fine crystal or dinner place settings but for the ethnicity of the proprietors who run them) in Shakawe and got in down the long and bumpy road to Seronga in one piece in only a week’s time. Then it only took two more days to get from Simon’s place to my house. This is a Seronga record for timeliness. I would imagine my fashion choices are going to be much more impressive now that I can actually see what I’m putting on and walking out the door in.


My Trader Joes reusable cloth shopping bag. I use it every day as a purse-esc sort of thing to carry the 4 litres of water I have to haul around the village with me for the course of the day. I love, love, love this- thank you again E and A.

The Wicked Soundtrack. Rick, you are a saint among men. I saw this musical for my birthday last year and it quickly became my favorite. I have been playing it and singing it and last night even falling asleep to it. It often causes me to cry for reasons I won’t go into here, but I love it! No one mourns the Wicked!

My straw diva hat. Back in another life, in another country, in another economy, some of you may remember receiving a picture text from me of my new hat that I had impulsively bought on a shopping spree that may or may not have been inspired by a date of significance I was attempting to avoid (what? we’ve all been there!!!). The hat became my pride and joy until the splashes from an early summer weekend of boating wrecked and misshaped it beyond repair. I am pleased to inform you it has been replaced. Purchased for the equivalent of $3 US dollars at a PEP store in Gabs I have already gotten exponentially more use and cute ensembles out of it than my $40 US dollar Banana Republic catastrophe.

It has also been rocking my world to have been able to replace some of the clothes that through washing, stretching, sunbleaching, staining and my own shrinking have began to make me look like even more of a mess than someone without a mirror… hmmm. Thanks to those who made that possible.

Hope, Love, Peace, Gratitude- Holopeagra
It’s the simple things,
Jen

No comments: