Saturday, July 12, 2008

If you can't "duct it", f- it. a Treatsie on the amazing comfort a roll of duct tape can bring....

If you can’t “duct it” f- it. A treatise on the amazing comfort of roll of duct tape can bring….
After some time spent “blending” at the kgotla I went home to face the music (or really silence) and mess at my house. I again thought about the lizards lurking, and the need to get the furniture out to clean the floors. There were some teenage boys in the fenced in yard of the compound and so I tried speaking with them. No English. With much gesturing and the setswana word for help, I was able to get them to move the furniture out of the room.
Which of course revealed the lizards behind the wardrobe. My shriek and overdramatic motions indicated that they were to remove the beasts, of which at first they were able to only get the tail of one. Further searching and five pula ensured that they disposed of the rest of him. The other one hid very well, and I’ve only seen him inside the house again one time. I left the carcass on the front stoop for a few days as a warning to any others who might be considering moving in. Now the only time I see lizards anywhere near the house is that there is one that crawls up in between the screen I’ve put up and my constantly open bathroom window. He and I have made peace with this arrangement, I know that he’s not able to actually come into my house as a result of the screen and he can hang out and feast on the bugs that are drawn near the warmth of the house and the screen. So long as he doesn’t get any crazy ideas to try and avenge his brother’s death, we’ll be fine.
I’ve since covered every crack and crevice and possible point of entrance for both lizards and the bugs that are their food source with duct tape. My thinking is that if I cut off their food source I will also deter the lizards from coming in. The fact that I have to keep my door open when I’m home to let in light and air is a bit of a problem in my deterrence scheme, but I tend to watch the door and guard it carefully. The duct tape has lead to an interesting decorating schema in the house, but one I appreciate for its functionality rather than fashion.

No comments: