Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I've often depended on the kindness of strangers...

Like blanche dubois in "a streetcar named desire," there have often been times in my life that just when I think things are going to take a turn for the worse, the kindess of a stranger steps in and helps in some way. When I undertook this Peace Corps journey, I had many fears and hesitancies, but decided to go through with it, knowing that if I followed my calling, good things would happen. Saturday was site placement (see next blog) and I am way up there, no electricity, internet, volunteers around me. This was a bit of a surprise, and quite honestly, I'm nervous.
After announcements were completed, they handed out our mail, and my m-bag arrived with all the books I had sent myself (mostly self help, I guess I'm going to get really enlightened while I'm here, a little part of the plan I had in mind when I singed up for this, that I had forgotten about during the luxuries of electricity, internet and grocery stores in Molepolole.) and another package, from Washington, DC. It said training materials, had the return address of someone I don't know, and I was confused. I opened it to find a care package with music, candy, lotions, bug stuff and things I had mentioned on my blog. A perfect stranger had read my blog and supports what I'm doing and wanted to send me some cheer. The letter indicated that Rick is a friend of Brent's who has been very generous to both brent and now me.
So I, being who I am, immedaitely burst into tears and walked laughing and crying (which really, equals sobbing) over to brent, who didn't know whether to slap me or hug me. I was overwhelmed with the emotion and gratitude of the day.
Before I left, Lightning, Lenox and I had a little ceremony to commemorate our upcoming and continuing journey's in life, and we meditated and wrote down our hope for ourselves and our fears. We burned the fears in a fire, and carried the hopes with us wrapped with a stone from Lake Superior, where it sort of all began. I brought the rock and note with me, and I found it the other day when I was going through my happy bag of things that make me smile, and it is as follows.

"The Universe is with you, sending you good things, spirits and people to help you because you choose to follow your journey. Receive them with grace."

Thank you, Rick, a perfect stranger, for your kindness in sending me a package, and your support of my journey. I will pay if forward, I promise you.

No comments: