Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swearing my mother would have loved to have heard....

Yesterday I swore in as an official volunteer of the United States Peace Corps. We were again at the secondary school where we had been matched to our host families, and my heart and stomach were fluttering similarly as they had on that day when I nervously walked into the arms of a big African woman, was given the name for love and burst into tears.

The pomp and circumstance of a typical Botswana ceremony (everyone has to thank everyone before they speak, and there are always several speakers who need to say some official words) ensued, and we were feted by some of the most important people in Botswana. The former president of Botswana Festus Mogae, who brought the Peace Corps back to Botswana in 2001 was there, as well as the United States Ambassador to Botswana in her last official duty as Ambassador, and the PC Country Director, and all the wonderful Peace Corps Staff who have helped me through banking, computer, cultural and other hiccups during the 8.5 weeks of training. The who’s who of the Kweneng district was there, as well as our host families and the national news (I should point out that there is only national news, no local like we have in the states) who interviewed several of us.

Speeches were made, touching on how grateful the Batswana are to have us here, and also reflecting on the history and tradition of taking an oath as an American, and pledging to defend the constitution as a public servant. I raised my right hand and made this commitment, and I pondered on the concept of all the Americans who have come before me and said these words or any others to the same end. Presidents, military people, civil servants and others have spoken these words, made this commitment, and sometimes given their lives to this end. I felt in that moment the magnitude of what I am doing, and a connection to something bigger in a way that is hard to remember when you are so far from home. Needless to say, I was teared up. It was a beautiful ceremony (if a little long winded). We were able to shake his Excellency’s hand, and he warmly and sincerely thanked each and every one of us (yes mom, I got pictures).

It was a beautiful day.

No comments: