Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Random thoughts:

I now eat many things I wouldn’t otherwise. This includes onions. Now someone please call my grandmother and make sure she’s ok, as this information is likely to cause heart palpitations, or shortness of breath from laughing and screaming I told you so at the top of what is left of her lung power. There are only so many things that I can avoid, and onions have proven to not be on that list. Right now cabbage and beetroot rank higher.

Also in the land of surprisingly bland food, where you’d think I would be in heaven, my taste buds have revolted. I overheard someone saying that your taste buds change every 7 years, so mine must be in the midst of a serious overhaul. I now crave and often eat Mexican chile flavored potato chips. Apparently the introduction of all of the MSG laden options that come with dinner every night has caused new cravings in my world. Strange to say the least.

I wouldn’t count on these changes sticking, but I’ve learned to be surprised by nothing in this country.

Books: Yes please. I, as is my habit, will read anything put in front of me. Jack may be taking advantage of this by sending me a bible. Lucky me. Otherwise I have recently read (and generally enjoyed) the following titles, and am completely willing to read anything else sent to me.

Memory Keeper’s Daughter- brilliant, haunting.

The Notebook- Why I put myself through this I will never know, but I read it in the span of a trip back from Gumare, I read it from cover to cover as did the girl next to me. E- you were right to recommend this one back in college.

Me Talk Pretty One Day- David Sedairis is HILARIOUS. Nothing better than the second half of this wonder to keep me inspired to continue language class every bloody day

Into the Wild was perfect for my trip to Seronga, as completely appropriate to keep perspective as a lizard falls out of my stove and scurries into my fridge, witnessed by the light of my headlamp, and to lull me back to sleep every time I woke up certain there were scorpions, snakes and lizards in bed with me that night.

Soon to be followed by Under the Banner of Heaven by the same author. A girl in my group has it, and I’m next on the list.

Freakonomics I’ve started it, and like it very much.

Also on the docket, the Glass Castle, The Number One Ladies Detective Agency #1, and for the Jack and Jen bookclub and whomever else would like to read it, The Kite Runner.

These are quite rightly interspersed with any gossip magazine I can get my grubby hands on- a luxury soon to be eclipsed by the fact that I will be hours away from all of my buddies.

So if you’ve recently read and loved a book, pop it in the mail to me. What the hell else are you going to do with it?

Jennifer Katchmark

Peace Corps Volunteer

Seronga Clinic

Box 111

Seronga, Botswana

No comments: